Monday, January 17, 2011

"Good for business'? Not hardly

This is an article written by a reader of the Review Journal. It points out how the Nevada bureaucracies hinder businesses and actually drive them out of the state.

The article has many examples of the problems that Nevada bureaucracies caused businesses. For example, it states,
I had to wait four months for the Fire Department to inspect my building so that I could receive my business license and start operating. I received this inspection only after I went to the County Commission meeting and complained during the open forum -- and it still took an additional two weeks for the inspection. I paid rent and employees' wages for four months waiting on the county.

If county officials truly wanted to have my business, they would have an immediate inspection or a temporary business license.

It had other examples, but this example demonstrates how Nevada is losing businesses. I have a family member who has a small business in Clark County that employs 20 taxpayers. Their firm provides services and goods to companies in every country in the world. They recently had a county employee (unknown to them as such) sit in on a baking demonstration at their building. After the demonstration, the county employee asked if she could purchase a set of the tools that were used in the preparation of the pastries. She was offered the tools at no charge. She insisted that she pay for them. They sold her the tools for less than $10 and no receipt was given.

The next day a representative from the county business license office showed up at their plant and fined them for having violated zoning ordinances. The day after that, someone from the Clark County Health Department showed up and fined them as well. The next day an official with the county Fire Department showed up and also fined them. The following day they contacted their Realtor. They're planning to move to Texas. "Good for business"? Yeah, right.
How can Nevada attract new businesses if we treat are existing businesses like this. I had a business which was almost forced out of business because, although I was perfectly legal, I had 3 complaints filed by one person and the state was going to close my business. Luckily, I was able to prove that the compliant was false.

Nevada must reduce the red tape and remove unnecessary regulations to stimulate the economy and encourage new business.

No comments:

Post a Comment