Thursday, May 6, 2010

Immigration letters to the editor.

Since the passage of SB 1070 in Arizona, it has been the hot topic in the media.

In the Review Journal, a letter to the editor on May 4th entitled "It's the law" said that "I find it distressing that anybody would have the audacity to invoke the Fourth Amendment in this illegal immigration debate.

The Fourth Amendment has already been destroyed by the use of DUI checkpoints, airport baggage searches, TSA strip searches and countless other violations. All because we've been brainwashed into believing it's all about the 'common good' or 'protecting the children.'

Now some of the very same people who have advocated the shredding of the Constitution for the 'common good' are trying to invoke its sanctity to protect individuals who are not even citizens of this country.

The same group of people who are trying to limit our ability to choose what kinds of foods we eat, what kind of cars we drive and even what kind of light bulbs we use in our own homes are now wrapping themselves in the Constitution in defense of noncitizen criminals who are destroying our country.

The hypocrisy of these people is beyond belief."

In a letter to the editor of the Las Vegas Sun, the writer said that "years ago, before I became a citizen, I had a green card that I had to have with me at all times. This showed that I was legally in this country. It had to be updated yearly and upon a change of address.

I did not in anyway resent having to show this card, so what's the big deal now?"

The writer makes a good point. We have to carry our drivers license and have proof of insurance to drive a car. When we are stopped, we have to show these documents to the officer who stopped us. What's the big deal about showing a green card?

I have been stopped at night for avoiding a bump in the road and had to prove that I was not intoxicated. No crime was committed, but I had to prove that I had a driver's license, proof of insurance, and was not intoxicated. What's the big deal?

No comments:

Post a Comment